- The Blessed One said:
Fearlessness, being in truth, the state of being united to awareness,
charity, mental focus, ritual, study of scripture, austerity, and simple
- Nonviolence, honesty, lack of anger, renunciation, peace, being
non-judgmental, compassion for all living beings, lack of greed, gentleness,
humility, and determination.
- Enthusiasm, forgiveness, endurance, cleanliness, lack of jealousy,
and not seeking fame are the qualities of one who is born into divine
nature, scion of Bharata.
- Pride, arrogance and vanity, anger and intolerance, as well as
ignorance; these are the qualities of one who is born into dark nature,
scion of Partha.
- Divine qualities assist in attaining liberation. The dark qualities
are considered to lead into bondage. Do not worry, scion of Pandu, you
are born into divine qualities.
- There are two kinds of living beings created in this world: the
divine and the dark. I have spoken of the divine with great detail,
son of Partha. Now hear from me of the dark.
- People who are of dark qualities do not know the difference between
right and wrong action. Nor is there cleanliness, saintliness, or truth
- They say that this world is untrue, with no purpose, cause, or
controller. It has merely come to be, due to no reason besides lust.
- Accepting this vision, having lost their souls, the unaware revel
in activities that bring painful consequences (karma) to them and others.
This leads to the harmful destruction of the world.
- Seeking comfort in unfulfilling lust, absorbed in the vanity
of pride and prestige, due to their delusion they cling to impermanent
things. They revel in their dedication to the unclean.
- They seek comfort in countless fears and anxieties until the
time of their death. They seek comfort in the pleasures of the senses,
believing that these are the greatest.
- Being bound by these hundreds of hopes, they are always entangled.
Lust and anger are always on their mind. They seek out lust for the
sake of sense pleasures, they accumulate wealth by unethical means.
- "Today I have gained this, and I shall gain more as I desire
it. This is mine, that is also mine. And my wealth will only increase
in the future".
- "I have killed this enemy, I will kill that enemy and others
too. I am the lord, I am the one who experiences, I am the mage, powerful
- "I am wealthy and surrounded by noble relations. Who else is
like I am? I will sacrifice, give charity, and rejoice". In these ways
one is deluded by ignorance.
- They are confounded by many worries, surrounded by a web of illusions.
Attached to the lust of the senses, the unclean slide down into hell.
- With a slothful soul and stubborn, absorbed in the illusion of
wealth and fame, they perform rituals in name only. They sacrifice only
for show, without practicing for genuine knowing.
- Seeking comfort in false ego, strength, pride, lust and anger,
they despise and envy myself and other living teachers.
- Those who are envious of me and miscreant, I cast into the ocean
of the world as the lowest of humanity. I put them always into dark
and unfortunate wombs.
- The foolish gain birth after birth in dark wombs. Son of Kunti,
without reaching me they sink into a damned place.
- There are three gates leading into the hell that destroys the
soul: lust, anger and greed. Thus, these three must be given up.
- Son of Kunti, being liberated from these three gates of ignorance,
a person cleanses their soul. After this he goes to the greater goal.
- One who gives up the wise teachings will be stuck in foolish
actions born of lust. He will never attain power, never achieve happiness,
never reach the greater goal.
- Thus the teachings reveal to you the way to discriminate between
right and wrong action. Being aware of the wisdom declared by the teachings,
you should take action in the world.
Return to title
<< Previous Chapter Next